Skip to content

Top recommendations from locals

Historic Site
“Thessaloniki’s symbol, the White Tower is a 15th century fortification which was part of the city’s defenses. The White Tower is the point where the seaward defense and the eastern wall met. For years it served as a prison for condemned prisoners awaiting execution. In early 1980s it was reconstructed and since 1985 is operating as a museum. Today the White Tower is used as a place of exhibition of the Byzantine Museum of Thessaloniki. For the first months of 2002 it housed ‘Byzantine Hours’, an exhibition devoted to ordinary life in Byzantine times. The first floor was presenting the “Professionals in the market place “ which actually is a presentation of tools and other objects belonging to goldsmiths, blade-smiths, glassmakers and tillers together with coins and a miniature model of Thessaloniki’s market place. The second floor was devoted to journeys and trade. Objects and texts related to journeys by sea and overland, fairs, spectacles and pilgrimages. The third floor is a presentation of the Byzantine home and its interior design, the decoration, supper, and the neighborhood. At the floor above there was an exhibition of life at home with garments and footwear, cosmetics, perfume and jewellery, personal grooming, and even superstitions. The theme of the top floor was covering burial and funerary customs.”
  • 116 locals recommend
History Museum
“The Museum of Byzantine Culture opened its doors for public in the year of 1994. The idea for the foundation of a Byzantine Museum was to create the home of the Byzantine culture in the area of Macedonia and in particular to Thessaloniki, keeping the culture alive while offering the possibility to students and the society to research and study on the topic. In the museum there are sculptures, frescoes, mosaics, icons, metalwork, coins, wall paintings glassware, pottery and inscriptions from the Byzantine times. It has permanent exhibitions, rooms for temporary thematic exhibitions, conservation workshops, and storage rooms. Today, three permanent exhibitions are open, presenting the society and the art of the Early Christian period (4th–7th centuries AD) emphasizing on the transition from the ancient world to Christianity. The topic of the first exhibition is “Early Christian Churches” and the design and decoration of Christian churches in the first centuries. The second exhibition is Early Christian Cities and Houses presenting the economic life, domestic handicrafts, as well as details of food and clothing. The centre of the room is dominated by the reception room of a house with a mosaic floor and very well preserved wall paintings. The third exhibition is called “From the Elysian Fields to the Christian Paradise, and it focuses on Early Christian cemeteries. The fourth exhibition is called “‘From the Iconomachy to the Brilliance of the Macedonians and the Komninos’ Dynasty. It presents the Iconomachy, architecture, painting, sculpture, ceramics, lead seals and coins in mid-Byzantine churches, monasteries and the Christianize of the Slavs by the Thessalonians brothers, the monks Cyrillus and Methodius. Future exhibitions will present the dynasties of the Byzantine emperors in chronological order from Heraclios (610-641) to the fall of Constantinople in 1453. In the ‘Byzantine Castle’ exhibits and information are used to show how the castle was organized and describe a picture of everyday life and production within and outside its walls. (Closest Bus Stop Archaeological Museum, distance 100meters)”
  • 46 locals recommend
History Museum
“The Archaeological Museum of Thessaloniki opened its doors to the public in 1962 by hosting findings from the area of Thessaloniki and the neighboring counties. The museum presents exhibits of the culture of Macedonia from prehistoric times and thereafter. The museum redesigned the interior area for a better and much more modern presentation of the permanent and temporary collections. Visitors have the opportunity to walk around the five sections of the new structure of the museum, through which they come into contact with the culture and people of ancient Macedonia. The five sections of the Archaeological Museum of Thessaloniki: Section A: Prehistoric Macedonia. Presentation of parts of the skull cast of an early hominid the “Macedonian Ape” and presentation of a copy of the famous skull of Petralona Cave(200,000 BC) Section-B: To the birth of cities. Presentation of evidence for the existence of settlements and cemeteries from the region extending between Athos and Olympus mountains, during the Iron Age (1100 – 700 BC). Section C: Macedonia from the 7th century BC to late Antiquity. Presentation of the life of the Macedonians from the creation of their independent kingdom of Macedonia (the ancient years) until the imperial period (1st to 4th century AD) when Macedonia was a province of the Roman Empire. Section D: Thessaloniki, the Macedonian Metropolis Presentation of historical and archaeological information of the city. The period from the year of its foundation, in 315 BC until the Roman occupation. Section E: The Gold of the Macedonians. Presentation of the art of the goldsmiths and exceptional exhibits from various places, mostly from cemeteries of Archaic and Classical periods. The museum also has a chronological narration commencing with the “Prehistoric Macedonia.””
  • 52 locals recommend
Neighborhood
“Full of life, Ladadika is one of the most vibrant and popular districts of Thessaloniki, with many traditional restaurants that both the locals and the tourists love. We recommend Full tou Meze (Greek cuisine and friendly staff).”
  • 92 locals recommend
Establishment
“One of the most characteristic monuments of Thessaloniki is the Arch of Galerius, located on the upper side of the Via Egnatia, a short distance from the Rotunda. (The Rotunda is a building with internal niches, serving as a place of worship). The Arch of Galerius is a glorious monument, whose purpose was not practical, but memorial and honorary. It is a triumphal arch built shortly before 305 AD to honor the Roman Emperor Galerius, after the final victory over the Persians. The triumphal arch that was positioned perpendicular to the ancient Egnatia, which crossed the city (west to east) forming a part of the Roman Palace of Galerius, which was developed through the current squares of Navarinou and Hippodrome. The construction design of the arch of Galerius was such as the two major roads to pass beneath it and crossed right in the middle, the current Egnatia Street and the street starting from the Arch and ending at the south gate of the wall of the Rotunda.”
  • 43 locals recommend
Plaza
“The heart of the city, surrounded by cafes crowded all day long, is a place of meeting with happenings and events throughout year”
  • 45 locals recommend
History Museum
“The Rotunda is part of the imperial complex built in 306 AD as the Pantheon (or mausoleum) for the emperor Galerius. As the name suggests the monument is a circular building with a dome 24 meters in diameter. Theodosius the Great turned it into a church during his reign for many years was the church of Thessalonica. The church was converted into a mosque during the Ottoman Empire in 1591, and added a minaret which is still preserved and is the only one in Thessaloniki. The Rotunda owns some perfect and remarkable mosaics. Today operates as a museum and there is no regular holly service (except for some very important dates).”
  • 45 locals recommend
Bar
$$$
“great bar restaurant in front of the sea, and a great view of the city! don' t forget to visit! a little bit expensive”
  • 49 locals recommend
Bridal Shop
“The church of Agios Dimitrios is dedicated to the patron Saint of the city and holds a prominent position among all the churches in this city. The Church has a rich history. Originally was built as a small chapel in 313 AD, on the ruins of an ancient Roman bath. In the fifth century the Bishop Leontius reconstructed the small chapel to a large basilica. This church was burned somewhere between the 626 AD and 634 AD. When it was constructed again took the form of a five-aisled basilica but in 1493 the Turkish invaders converted it into a mosque! In 1912 the church returned to the Christians but the great fire in 1917 destroyed it completely. The church commenced its holly service in 1949. The church is located on the ruins of the Roman Forum and is a basilica with five naves, a transept and a vestibule. It has a crypt located directly beneath the transept and the sanctuary. There are catacombs beneath the temple among which is the hall of the prison of St. Demetrius. The church has a museum and three chapels on one side. On the southeast side of the church there is the small chapell of Agios Efthimios. The church Agios Dimitrios before the devastating fires of 1917 was decorated with sculptures, frescoes and mosaics, most of which were destroyed and today only a few remnants can tell the glorious past of the monument.”
  • 47 locals recommend
Road
“The biggest shopping street in the north half of greece, with brands from around the world!”
  • 42 locals recommend
Historic Site
“The Hebrard plan for the reconstruction of Thessaloniki after the big fire of 1917 predicted the extension of Aristotelous to the north, to create a large administrative center. During the excavations (1962) for the construction of the city courthouse, the ruins of the Roman Agora (Forum) were discovered. The area was listed as an archaeological site. It was revealed that during the Roman period, the Agora stretched in an area of ​​5 acres and included services such as a documents archive, mint and a conservatory-meeting hall. On its south side, there was a domed arcade, most likely used as a public warehouse. Attached to the gallery, there were shops which survived until the 13th century, according to the sources. At the southeastern part of the findings lies a complex of baths, which is particularly important as the oldest surviving edifice of the late Hellenistic city. During the Byzantine period, the area of the ancient market declined. After the Sultan invited the persecuted Jews of Spanish descent to come reside in Thessaloniki, it was allocated to them to inhabit.”
  • 24 locals recommend
Neighborhood
“Ano Poli (the old Upper Town) has insta-worthy paths and colourful spots! Check out landmarks such as the Tower of Trigonio and Heptapyrgion, stop at Igglis for traditional dishes, visit Vlatadon Monastery, and enjoy the amazing view of the city! ”
  • 45 locals recommend
Gourmet Shop
$$
“The famous ERGON Agora restaurant & its unique fresh groceries and local products market in the city center!”
  • 21 locals recommend
Electronics Store
“Outlet stores, multiple brand choices also includes restaurants and cinema!”
  • 22 locals recommend
Plaza
“Agia Sophia is one of the most impressive Byzantine churches of Thesaloniki. It is a very beautiful “Domed Basilica” style temple with an imposing architecture, beautiful wall paintings and elaborate mosaics.”
  • 34 locals recommend
Art Museum
“Get your Warhol on at the Macedonian Museum of Contemporary Art A 5-min walk away from the White Tower, you’ll encounter this world-class art hub where prolific international gallerist and collector Alexandros Iolas donated 30 works of global fame (Warhol and Akrithakis are among the permanent collection). Next, take the short taxi ride to Aristoteleous neo-classical main square back on the old seafront. From there, weave your way through the kaleidoscopic open-air Modiano markets dating back to the 12th century, a seductive mesh of scent, sound and colour, dotted with exotic delicatessens in the city heart.”
  • 11 locals recommend