Humble but *fun, funky* location! Note: Due to limited height of The Shire, it is only suited for folks under 5 feet, 9 inches tall (1.75 m). Value/comfort near Johns Hopkins Medical, Harbor East, in Upper Fells Point. Walk everywhere. Help new arrivals find housing. NOTE: Shower times are limited. 9-11 a.m., or 7-9 p.m. NOTE (2): Fll out your bio, complete your verifications and provide a photo clearly showing your face before contacting me; a clear photo is needed for host security.
Spartan, Peace Corps type space -- but you do have a bed, desk, fabulous Ikea Poang reading chair, storage shelves, and a half-bath: toilet and sink.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The shower, in my separate master suite on the 2nd floor, is available 9 a.m.-11 a.m. and 7-9 p.m. Max of 1 shower per day.
PLS READ: Please do not ask for changes in the shower time. If you are attending a convention and are out all day, the Shire is not appropriate unless you can make other shower arrangements.
Please see my other listing, the Vivaldi Suite, if you need multiple showers or showers outside of the stated times.
The Shire contains an A/C & heating unit that makes a mechanical sound (it will be on when hot in summer and cold in winter), so it is best for those who are sound sleepers.
PLEASE MENTION YOUR HEIGHT:
The Shire is not suitable for anyone over 5 feet, 9 inches (1.75 meters) or about 170 pounds (80 kilograms). Please mention your height when booking -- tall people also frighten my shy dog.
Amenities available (please ask): Ironing board, iron, makeup mirror, wedge pillow.
Kitchen fridge and microwave, dining room, spectacular roof deck, shower. You can *definitely* use the dining room table as your office, set up a laptop at one end and work happily with strong wifi and some tea, hot chocolate or coffee.
Interaction with guests
Flexible interaction with guests! I work in a home office, so I have some deadlines to meet, but I can take breaks and act as a "concierge" to be helpful to you as you plan your day.
Other things to note
Consult the online Charm City Homestay site for tons of information on everything from the best crab cakes in town to theater and music options!
Not suitable for smokers or those with cat allergies.
No guests will be admitted without a clear, head and shoulders photograph on their profile.
After you book, please consult your confirmation email to read my House Manual and send me the Magic Phrase.
• Unable to host smokers or those who have cat allergies. This house has two permanent residents with asthma and smoke sensitivities. Smokers who book anyway without disclosing that they smoke will not be admitted and will not receive a refund.
• Visitors. Only the guests named and registered in the original reservation are permitted to enter the building.
• Wearing of perfumes, fragrances.
• Sending of any mail or packages to this address. These will be returned to sender.
• Cooking, frying, baking, boiling on the stove. You can use the microwave to warm food. Kitchen hours are 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. firm.
• Eating/drinking (other than water) in your room to avoid attracting roaches. You can eat in the dining room.
• Max of 1 shower per day for guests in the Shire. Please see my other listing if you need multiple showers.
Significant violations of house rules will result in immediate termination of the reservation, and the forfeiture of all fees paid for the reservation.
IMPORTANT: Read your itinerary email! It contains:
1. My address
2. A link to the House Manual
3. The "magic phrase." You ** have ** to read the House Manual and send me the magic phrase to receive your WiFi password!
4 p.m. or later. Please advise me of your estimated time immediately on booking or by 48 hours before arrival.
Early check-ins (between noon and 4 p.m.) may be available for $15 — please ask though. Please be advised that the previous guest has the room until 11 a.m., and cleaning takes until noon.
SUPER EARLY CHECKIN
Super early check-ins (between 7 a.m. and noon) may be available in the Lukis Lounge, again for $15 — please ask though. This allows you to crash on a sofa in the living room, made up with a pillow and linens, until your room is ready at noon. This is perfect if you are arriving on a red-eye flight.
• 11 a.m. *firm.* You will need to be up, packed and out of the house -- not just the room! -- by this time. If you are late, the late departure fee is $25.
LUGGAGE LIMITS AND CHARGES
• A maximum of three items of luggage, such as suitcases, backpacks or spinners, are permitted. If you have a car full of belongings, the welcome manual provides you with paid storage options.
• You may leave luggage early (before 4 p.m.) for $15 and leave it on the day of your departure (after 11 a.m.) for a separate $7. This charge is waived for stays of five days or more.
Author of two insightful travel books, "An Amateur's Guide to the Planet" and "Romance on the Road."
Specialize in helping guests relocating to Baltimore with counsel on neighborhoods, landlords, rent levels, financing for ownership.
Love movies by Wes Anderson, Terrence Malick and Werner Herzog.
Favorite places I've traveled: Kenya, Bali, Assateague.
Favorite motto (from Voltaire): The perfect is the enemy of the good.
Favorite foods: Peking duck, matcha green tea ice cream and kulfi (Indian cardamon ice cream).