Host damage protection
Host damage protection, part of AirCover for Hosts, provides Hosts with $3 million in coverage in the rare event your place or belongings are damaged by a guest during an Airbnb stay.
Start an AirCover for Hosts request
File for reimbursement for damage, missing items, or unexpected cleaning.
Host damage protection covers you for:
- Damage to your home, furnishings, valuables, or belongings caused by guests (or their invitees)
- Damage to parked cars, boats, or other vehicles caused by guests (or their invitees)
- Unexpected or extra cleaning costs needed due to the behavior of a guest (or their invitees) during an Airbnb stay—for example, professional carpet cleaning
- Income lost if you need to cancel confirmed Airbnb bookings due to damage caused by a guest (or their invitees)
When you offer an emergency place to stay through Airbnb.org, you’re still covered by Host damage protection.
Host damage protection doesn’t cover:
- Damage from normal wear and tear
- Loss of currency
- Loss due to acts of nature (like earthquakes and hurricanes)
- Injury or property damage to guests or others (those may be covered by Host liability insurance)
- Other exclusions apply
The reimbursement process
Here’s how to get reimbursed if damage does happen during a stay:
- Gather evidence of the damage (photos, videos, estimates for repairs or cleaning, and/or receipts).
- Within 14 days of the responsible guest’s checkout, file an AirCover for Hosts request through our Resolution Center.
- After you submit your AirCover for Hosts request, your guest will have 24 hours to pay. If they decline to pay the full amount or don’t respond, you’ll be able to involve Airbnb Support. Keep in mind that if you want to involve Airbnb Support in your AirCover for Hosts request, you will need do so and submit evidence of the damage within 30 days of the damage or loss.
How Host damage protection works with cleaning and pet fees
If you choose to include cleaning fees or a pet fee, please keep in mind that they are meant to cover expected costs.
Host damage protection, on the other hand, covers unexpected costs related to additional cleaning or pet damage—for instance, removing smoke odor or replacing your sofa because a dog chewed it up.
To learn more about Host damage protection, go to the terms.
Disclaimer: Host damage protection isn’t an insurance policy. It doesn’t cover Hosts who offer stays through Airbnb Travel, LLC, or Hosts in mainland China or Japan. Host damage protection isn’t related to Host liability insurance. Keep in mind that all coverage limits are shown in USD, and that there are other terms, conditions, and exclusions.
Note: This article is part of Getting protected through AirCover for Hosts, a guide about damage and liability coverage.
- HostGetting protected through AirCover for HostsAirCover for Hosts is top-to-bottom protection for Airbnb Hosts.
- HostHost liability insuranceHost liability insurance is a key component of AirCover for Hosts, which is top-to-bottom protection for Airbnb Hosts.
- GuestGetting charged for damageIf you, someone you invite, or a pet are responsible for damage during a stay, let your Host know right away.