How do I get a refund if I’m exempt from the tourist tax in Germany?
Certain guests staying in Germany may be exempt from the tourist tax or qualify for a reduced rate. This exemption may include guests who are:
- Minors (exact age depends on city or region)
- Visitors at trade fairs
- Students and staff on school trips
- Staying overnight for professional, educational, or training purposes
To find out if you qualify for a refund or a reduction, visit the tourist tax website for the municipality where you’re staying, or contact their tax office.
If you’ve booked a stay on Airbnb in one of the locations in Germany where we automatically collect the tourism tax and you determine that you're due a refund, you can request a refund directly from the municipality where your accommodation is located.
- Occupancy tax collection and remittance by Airbnb in GermanyHere’s what you need to know about occupancy tax collection and remittance in your area.
- GuestTourism tax exemption refundsFind details about tourist tax refunds for specific countries.
- Experience HostExperiences involving food in DetroitHosting Airbnb Experiences is fun, but there are some obligations and rules that apply to different activities. We’ve gathered some resource…